Why you should not only Love Local but shop local…..
- Shopping local creates local jobs, which can only help with the 18 year old you can’t get off the couch. Our local businesses create local employment and these same people in turn spend it in the local community.
- Local business owners may know you by name, even invite you to their kid’s birthday party. Evidence from numerous surveys show people receive better customer care and service locally. These businesses survive by their reputation and repeat business, which means you get a higher standard of service.
- Local shops sell a wide range of great products at affordable prices, you’ll find “where did you get that?” jewelry. Many people fall out of the habit of shopping locally and are then pleasantly surprised by the unique and wide range of products offered at local businesses.
- Shopping local saves the environment, and we have to save the Earth. It’s the only planet with chocolate. Local business often stock a high percentage of local sourced goods which do not require long car rides or long journeys, helping reduce our global footprint.
- Local businesses are for everyone, our local merchants won’t judge your ripped sweatpants. Most people can get to their local shops easily and this is especially important for the elderly and young generations and those without transportation.
- You support schools, police and fire departments, you will pave the streets you drive on. When you shop small, the bulk of the money you spend and most of your taxes stay local — helping schools, paving streets, keeping you safe. According to the research firm Civic Economics, for every $100 you spend:
In a local small business, $68 stays in your community.
At a local branch of a chain store, only $43 remains.